Cambridge Neck Pain Clinic
Cambridge Neck Pain Clinic utilises the knowledge and skills of our osteopath to treat and manage neck pain. Osteopaths use manual therapy techniques and pescriptive exercise to reduce pain, improve mobility and stability of the neck.
Neck pain or a stiff neck is a common problem which usually gets better after a few days or weeks. It’s rarely a sign of anything serious.
You can often get a painful or stiff neck if you:
- sleep in an awkward position
- use a computer for a prolonged period of time
- strain a muscle because of bad posture
Anxiety and stress can also sometimes cause tension in your neck muscles, leading to neck pain
Neck pain caused by a squashed nerve is known as cervical radiculopathy. It’s usually caused by one of the discs between the bones of the upper spine (vertebrae) splitting open and the gel inside bulging outwards on to a nearby nerve.
The condition is more common in older people because your spinal discs start to lose their water content as you get older, making them less flexible and more likely to split.
The pain can sometimes be controlled with painkillers and by following the advice below, although surgery may be recommended for some people.
Preventing neck pain and stiffness
You may find the following advice helpful in preventing neck pain:
- make sure you have good posture – read about how to sit correctly, posture tips for laptop users, and common posture mistakes and fixes
- take regular breaks from your desk, from driving, or from any activity where your neck is held in the same position for a long period of time
- if you often feel stressed, try relaxation techniques to help ease any tension in your neck
- avoid sleeping on your front, and make sure your head is in line with your body (not tilted to the side) if you sleep on your side
- only use enough pillows (usually only one) to keep your head level with your body
- make sure your mattress is relatively firm – a soft mattress could mean your neck is bent while you sleep
Why Should I come for an Appointment at Cam Osteopathy?
Treatment is conservative, uninvasive and delivered in the least painful manner where possible. Our clinics offer a professional, relaxed and therapetuic enviroment to come for an appointment. We develop a tailored and bespoke treatment plan to treat and manage your headache. This can involve a multi-disciplinary team at our central cambridge clinic with 65 healthcare professionals.
For more information our clinic or to book an appointment with an osteopath then click on the home page or book an appointment
We even offer a FREE 15 minute assessment to see if treatment is safe and suitable for you
For tips and information you can follow us on social media and sign up to our newsletter at the top of the page by clicking on the subscribe tab and fill in the contact form on the page.